BULGARIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION was founded in 1901 and it is the second professional organization of medical doctors established in the world following the British one. Initially, the Association promoted and protected the interests of medical community and set their fees. The first Chairperson of BMA was Dr. Dimitar Mollov. In 1947, the Government ordered the unification of BMA and Medical Workers' Union.
After 1989 transition to democracy, gradual unification of the profession began, 28 independent regional colleges were established. On the 13th of 1990, Bulgarian Medical Association was restored and Prof. Dr. Ivan Kirov was elected Chairperson during the 27th “Re-establishment” Congress. Today, more than 32,000 medical doctors are members of BMA. The Bulgarian Medical Association continues to promote and protect the interests of physicians, which also represent the interest of the whole society.